Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Number 31 Redux"

"Number 31 Redux"


This original one-of-a-kind artwork is HUGE at 72" x 38" on unstretched canvas. 
When I say HUGE I mean it - the size of a twin mattress!

I started with a large piece of unstretched primed artist canvas. I actually painted on the unprimed side because I liked the rough texture to use as a starting point. The base is several coats of gloss Beige. This is then covered with a gloss Black and White and Barrel Green paint. There are a few small drops of Butter Yellow scattered about as well. The black, white, and green paint is layered and gives the painting an awesome raised texture. The colors and style are similar to Jackson Pollock's famous One (Number 31, 1950).

Details can be seen in the close up view. Pictures do not do it justice it has to be seen to believed. This painting has been a huge hit and I plan on using these colors again.







1 comment: